king beer before the puck dropped.

king beer before the puck dropped.
09 pa 2018 - 10:11:50
He can laugh about it now Matt Slauson Jersey , the concept of being "too big" that led him on this extraordinary journey to the Philadelphia Eagles.

Jordan Mailata has made the cut for the Super Bowl champions' 53-man roster less than a year after first putting on a helmet and is ready to start his rookie season.

Mailata grew up in western Sydney, dreaming of making his living in Australia's National Rugby League. He got close, too, with his work ethic and his pure bulk impressing the senior coaches at South Sydney, the NRL club owned by the actor Russell Crowe.

But, somehow, a theory that at 6-foot-8 and more than 350 pounds Mailata was too big for a game that relies so heavily on aerobic fitness became a potential roadblock to a lucrative contact. So his agent put together a highlight video of this human wrecking ball rampaging through defenses and making crunching tackles in the NRL's under-20 competition and sent it around.

The video was designed, Mailata said, "to help generate interest in the rugby universe."

It did way more than that.

"At the same time it generated attention in the NFL," he said. "I was quite lucky when I reached the crossroad in my life, the NFL pathway reached out to me as another avenue to pursue. That's what it came down to."

Navigating the NFL's International Pathway program and the draft and then making the Eagles' roster has been, as the 21-year-old offensive tackle put it, "surreal."

A couple of nights before the Eagles were scheduled to open the season against Atlanta http://www.chicagobearsteamonline.com/anthony-miller-jersey , Mailata was doing a telephone conference with reporters in Australia, where his story is making news even as the rugby league season heads into the playoffs. It was Wednesday morning in Sydney, and Mailata prefaced his response to the first question: "Good to hear another Aussie on the phone."

And with that, he may have single-handedly increased the NFL's audience Down Under.

Mailata didn't play football high school or college and wasn't even thinking about the game in his late teens. He had two heart operations in 2015 which interrupted his junior rugby league progress, but has been given the all-clear. All in all, it has been a very non-conventional approach to the NFL.

"I guess it's every American football player's dream to be part of an NFL team and I'm quite lucky to be living my own dreams and theirs," Mailata said.

While being so big was a benefit in short bursts, it was also the concern for top-flight rugby league coaches who figured Mailata would lack endurance.

Michael Maguire guided South Sydney to a drought-breaking NRL title in 2014 and remained as coach of the Rabbitohs until last year, when he crossed paths with Mailata. He saw plenty of character in Mailata, but realized as soon as reports filtered back about him being interested in the NFL scouting combine that the young player was better suited to the American game.

"He's huge, obviously, but he's also explosive out of the blocks and agile for a man his size," Maguire wrote in an article for PlayersVoice. "Whereas the repeat efforts required in rugby league weren't suited to a bloke of his genetics http://www.seahawksauthorizedshops.com/authentic-dontae-johnson-jersey , the explosiveness needed in the NFL definitely is.

"Short bursts of maximum effort. That's a great match for him."

Mailata is confident he can handle the physical elements of the NFL. The tactical and technical side of the game is his focus right now, and he's dedicated to learning the playbook.

The Eagles list Mailata at 6-foot-8 and 346 pounds, so he's big but not the biggest player in the league. He would have been the biggest player in the NRL, and that would have made him a big target for defenders.

"I didn't feel I was too big to play. It wasn't a self-proclaimed label I gave myself ??it was something I was told," he said. "There were a lot of second-grade contracts up for grabs. Personally, I wanted a full-time contract so I could develop.

"Making the decision to transition was a shot I was willing to take once I was labeled too big to play rugby," he added. "I laugh at it now."

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) Taylor Lewan has waited and planned for the day when the Tennessee Titans would reward him with a new multimillion-dollar contract.

So the quirky and gifted left tackle was ready when the Titans signed him Friday to a five-year, $80 million contract, making Lewan the NFL?s highest-paid offensive lineman.

Lewan came out to meet reporters flanked by his offensive line teammates to the theme song from ?The Dukes of Hazzard,? wearing an all-white suit topped off by a white cowboy hat, with a cigar in his mouth. Center Ben Jones even brought along Lewan?s stuffed beaver, Steve Anthony Duclair Jersey , a locker room decoration.

?I actually got the suit done like just a couple of days before camp and literally had no idea if I was going to sign or not, but might as well be prepared,? Lewan said.

Why come out as Boss Hogg?

?We did a whole deal as a joke, but in all seriousness this is unbelievable,? Lewan said of his teammates. ?You?re not going to find a better O-Line room, that?s for sure.?

The Titans did not disclose specific terms, but multiple reports said Lewan will receive $50 million guaranteed. That tops the four-year, $62 million deal Nate Solder got from the New York Giants in March. The team wrapped up negotiations before its second practice of training camp after talks progressed quickly enough that Lewan reported on time Wednesday .

The Pro Bowler skipped the mandatory minicamp in June because of stalled talks. Now he?ll be averaging $16 million a year under the new deal with a team looking for a second straight playoff berth.

?I?m extremely happy to be part of this team for a few more years, and I think it?s going to be a special few years for all of us,? Lewan said.

Coach Mike Vrabel thanked general manager Jon Robinson and his staff for wrapping up Lewan?s deal. The first-time head coach didn?t have any issue with Lewan?s colorful celebration.

?My job is make sure that they work on the field, and part of this process is having fun,? Vrabel said. ?Part of becoming a team is having fun and working hard together and having fun together.?

Lewan, who turned 27 last weekend Cam Newton Jersey , was the 11th overall selection out of Michigan in 2014. The 6-foot-7, 309-pounder had been due $9.34 million this season under the fifth-year option the Titans picked up last year. He has started 53 of 58 games, including every game the past two seasons, protecting quarterback Marcus Mariota?s blind side.

Lewan?s new deal keeps the Tennessee starting offensive line intact for Vrabel. The only remaining issue on the line concerns right tackle Jack Conklin, who is recovering from a torn ligament in his left knee that he suffered during the divisional playoff loss in New England.

With Lewan as ringleader, the Titans? offensive linemen have been protecting Mariota on the field and having fun off the field. Their best highlights have come at playoff games for the NHL?s Nashville Predators with the linemen waving catfish and drinking beer before the puck dropped. Lewan even chugged a beer using a catfish last spring.

The beaver, with its own fedora, was a gifted to Lewan from his now-wife. The beaver pops up in different places around the locker room.

?This city?s been awesome,? Lewan said. ?I think with some of my antics and some of the stuff the O-line does, I don?t think we?d be welcome very much on other teams. I think Nashville?s taken us in just fine.?

?

http://www.officialusafootballs.com/denver-broncos
Autor:

E-mail:

Temat:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Wiadomość:

Copyright © 2000-2016 Kazimierz Pawlowski | kontakt | wspolpraca | reklama
design System Zarządzania Treścią - CMS identyfikacja wizualna